What is it?
The Patient Safety and Quality Masterclass is an advanced scientific workshop dedicated to learning principles and practice of patient safety, clinical risk management and quality of care.
The course is open to ESAIC members who speak and write English fluently. This course is aimed at anaesthesiologists who may have some experience in patient safety and are clearly motivated in their choice of being patient safety and quality champions in their departments.
Learn by doing
The programme contains a series of lectures, simulations and interactive workshops during which participants will apply their knowledge through practical exercises.
The faculty are international experts in patient safety, medical simulation and risk management:
- Daniel Arnal (Alcoron, Spain) – Chair of the ESAIC Patient Safety and Quality Committee
- Johannes Wacker (Zürich, Switzerland)
- Peter Dieckmann (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Michael St.Pierre (Erlangen, Germany)
- Christopher Neuhaus (Heidelberg, Germany) – EPSQ Masterclass Director
Educational targets focus on the following goals
- Provide a theoretical update on different aspects of the current state of the art in the different fields of patient safety and quality in anaesthesiology
- Provide the possibility to train skills and learn new techniques with regard to the different required practical skills for the anaesthesiologists in the management of clinical risk, hazards and quality of care.
(workshops, role playing and full scale high fidelity simulations)
- Provide a forum of scientific exchange with peers and possibility to discuss therapeutic options with key opinion leaders.
The Masterclass will start at 09:30 (Registration opens at 09:00) and finish on Wednesday, 2nd October 2019 at 14:00
The PSQ Masterclass will take place in Heidelberg, Germany, at the Heidelberg Anesthesia & Emergency Medicine Simulation Center (HANS). Heidelberg is home to one of Germany’s largest University Medical Centers and oldest Medical Faculty dating back to 1388. It is conveniently located close to Frankfurt Airport (45min by car, 1h by train/shuttle bus).
The organisers will apply for the CME accreditation for the PSQ Masterclass at the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME). The previous editions of the Masterclass were accredited with 18 CME credits.
How much does it cost to register?
Registration fee is 500 EUR.
Registration fee for Reduced Fee countries* is 300 EUR (=60% of regular price)
Registration Fees are non-refundable.
How to register?
Registration is now open. You can register via your myESAIC account. If you do not have a myESAIC account, it is easy and quick to create a profile. Be sure you do this before registering.
How to get there?
The MC will take place at the Heidelberg Anesthesia & Emergency Medicine Simulation Center (HANS), located on the University Campus. The street address is:
University Hospital Heidelberg
Marsilius Arkaden – Turm Süd
Im Neuenheimer Feld 130
69120 Heidelberg, Germany
The Hospital is well connected by car or public transport (Street view) (map view), through bus lines 31 or 32 to “Universitäts-Campus” station. Ride time from the city center is between 5-10 minutes. There are also several hotels within 10 minutes walking distance.
There are multiple options to get to Heidelberg from Frankfurt Airport:
– Shuttle bus: every 90 Minutes (ca. 1 hour to the city center) (link)
– Train: Via Mannheim HBF to Heidelberg HBF (ca. 1 hour)
– Rental car: via the A5 motorway (ca. 45 min.)
This masterclass is supported through an unrestricted educational grant from