The ESAIC is continually monitoring the Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 virus) pandemic to evaluate and manage its impact on the healthcare community, our members, patients, society, and staff.
Thank you for your commitment to the safety of patients and of healthcare professionals during this evolving pandemic. Together we stand in solidarity with all the people involved, across the globe, and send our deepest sympathies to the families of those who have suffered the greatest during this time. We are working together with our leadership, members, and community to get the most updated COVID-19 information available for anaesthesiologist, intensivists, and other healthcare professionals.
Discover more resources, articles, and links – along with information on the ESAIC’s latest webinar on COVID-19 and how we can best treat our patients.
Latest videos & webinars on COVID-19
Non-invasive versus invasive ventilation in COVID-19 patients
A statement from the Board of Directors of ESAIC
- Non-invasive ventilation and invasive ventilation are not either-or concepts of intensive care treatment but complement each other. They are tailored to the individual patient and their situation. This stage concept is part of the guideline-oriented, intensive care treatment strategy.
- Leading ESAIC experts have clarified this several times in our ESAIC webinars.
- Attempts by individual doctors to raise concerns in regards to ventilation in the media lead to unnecessary uncertainty among patients. The claims cannot be supported by the scientific data available to date.
- The different degrees of severity of COVID-19 patients are decisive.
- There is a step-by-plan; the decisive factor is not an automatism, but rather the respective clinical situation of the patient and ensuring oxygen supply.
- Patients variables are also taken into account, such as anatomical conditions, tightness of the mask, awareness among other factors.
- Patients do not die because of ventilation; they do because of the critical underlying disease.
Clinical Toolkit & Useful Data
More Useful External Resources
Toolkit for Healthcare workers
- ESICM: Provision of Training on Intensive Care Medicine Skills for Health Professionals Not Regularly Working on Intensive Care Units
- COVID 19 – Clinical toolkit
- Cloth masks and mask sterilisation as options in case of shortage of surgical masks and respirators
- Disinfection of environments in healthcare and non-healthcare settings potentially contaminated with SARS-CoV-2
Stories and frontlines
- NYSSA educational webcast on Strategies & Lessons Learned on the Front Lines of New York’s Coronavirus Crisis
- Potential short-term outcome of an uncontrolled COVID-19 epidemic in Lombardy, Italy, February to March 2020
- Coronavirus in Italy – Report From The Front Lines (Video Interview)
- The Effect of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Clinic Operations (Audio Interview)
The ESAIC is a diverse community. Learning from each other in order to give our patients the best possible care has never been more important than right now during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many organizations, including our Industry Partners, offer important resources to inform and help the health care community. This section is designed to provide you with useful information, updates, and resources on COVID-19 shared by the industry. You can click on the logos below to see the full list of news for each company.