The ESAIC is seeking to recruit newly motivated and enthusiastic members to the Sustainability Committee (SustaiC) to assist in evolving and advancing Sustainability in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care.
One position as Committee member and one as Committee Chair become vacant on 1 January 2022.
At ESAIC, we recognise that our actions have an impact on the environment, and we see sustainability and climate change as key strategic issues. ESAIC is thus advocating for increased environmental consciousness in our practices and the facilities in which we work. Physician anaesthesiologists can lead by improving operating room design, anaesthetic agent choice and management, and waste disposal and diversion, and can mitigate the negative environmental effect of anaesthetic practice in all its forms. Sustainability also covers all the professional issues related to the quality of life and interprofessional relationships (professionalism).
The SustaiC covers the following 3 core areas:
- Impact of Anaesthesia / Critical Care / Perioperative Medicine on the environment
- Climate change impact on our speciality
- Professionalism (professional issues and prevention, behaviour, quality of life)
The SustaiC member and chair posts require close liaison with the ESAIC Headquarters in Brussels throughout the year to:
- Promote sustainability and well-being at work in our field and highlight their importance,
- Produce educational products for dissemination,
- Provide and improve knowledge, skills and help to evolve attitudes in the field of Anaesthesiology with respect not only to sustainability, but also well-being in our professions,
- Identify, develop, and evaluate new methods, techniques, and content relevant for the promotion of sustainability and well-being at work in our field.
The SustaiC meets once a year in the frame of Euroanaesthesia, provided that the sanitary situation allows it. Other activities and meetings take place virtually throughout the year. The members are expected to attend these meetings. Travel expenses to attend a physical meeting of the Committee (if it can take place) are subject to the relevant ESAIC policy.
Applications are encouraged from ESAIC Members who meet the following criteria:
- Previous experience and/or involvement in activities related to sustainability and/or well-being at work,
- Knowledge of the sustainability problematics and topics,
- In addition to the Chair position: previous experience and engagement in ESAIC
Chair position: applicants must have been ESAIC active members for at least two years before the year of application (2019 & 2020). Persons who are already Committee members can apply for the Chair position no later than at the end of their third year.
Member positions: applicants must be ESAIC Active or ESAIC Trainee members at the time of application.
Term of office
- Chair: The term of office is 3 years, plus one year as Past-Chair
- Members: The term of office is 3 years, renewable twice for one year (maximum 5 years in total).
The total aggregated continuous term of office shall not exceed seven years (sum of terms as Member, Chair and Past-Chair).
If you are interested and wish to apply, please send your CV (2 pages) and application letter (1 page, detailing the adherence to the requirements above) and disclose any conflict of interest you may have to the SustaiC to Ingrid.email@example.com no later than 15 September 2021 23:59 CET with the subject ‘ESAIC Sustainability Committee Member – vacancy 2021’ or ‘ESAIC Sustainability Committee Chair – vacancy 2021’, depending on the position for which you apply.
The appointment will be made by the Board of Directors following a recommendation by the Nominations Committee and the SustaiC.
For more information about the Sustainability Committee, please visit the ESAIC website.