The ESAIC is seeking to recruit a new Chairperson of the ESAIC Research Committee.
The vacancy will occur as of 1 January 2024.
Deadline to apply is 24 June 2023, 23:59 CET.
The new Chairperson will take over from Professor Alexander Zarbock, and will liaise closely with him in the months following 1 January 2024. The ESAIC Research Committee plays an important role in the activities of the Society. The Committee is composed currently of nine members. The RC Chairperson position requires close liaison with the Research Department of the ESAIC headquarters in Brussels via bi-monthly phone calls. The role includes:
- review grant applications in the fields of clinical and basic sciences relevant to Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, and to make recommendations for the award of grants.
- advise on the organisation and management of the grant evaluation process.
- advise the ESAIC Board on the range of research grant schemes offered by the ESAIC.
- advise on the organisation and management of the Research Mentorship Programme.
- advise on A-CRO and EU-consortium activities in which ESAIC is taking part.
- play an active role in the improvement of the activities of the Committee.
- play an active role in the ESAIC Clinical Trial Network.
The appointed Chairperson will be required to attend 3 to 4 meetings of the Research Committee per year. Travel expenses to attend these meetings are provided according to the standard ESAIC Reimbursement Policy.
Applications are encouraged from active ESAIC members across Europe who meet the following criteria:
- Must be a qualified anaesthesiologist or intensivist
- Applicant must have been ESAIC active members for at least 2 years on the day of the application deadline
- Experience in writing grant applications and obtaining competitive funding
- Experience in reviewing grant applications
- Expertise in clinical and / or laboratory research is required
- Established academic reputation
- Links with national/European Anaesthesiology and/or Intensive Care societies
Term of office
Term of office will start on 1 January 2024. The tenure is for three years, renewable twice for one year (maximum of 5 years).
How to apply?
If you are interested and wish to apply, please send by e-mail:
- The application form available here
- Your Curriculum Vitae, which should detail how you meet the criteria,
- List of publications, including Hirsch Index (that must be calculated via Scopus)
- Short outline (maximum one page A4) of your perspectives as RC Chair.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com no later than 24 June 2023 (23:59 CET) with the following subject ‘ESAIC Research Committee Chairperson – vacancy 2024’.
The appointment will be made by the ESAIC Board following recommendation by the Nominations Committee. It is possible that interviews will be held to select the successful candidate.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this post, please contact Prof. Alexander Zarbock, Chairman ESAIC Research Committee