The ESAIC is seeking to recruit a new Chairperson for the Examinations Subcommittee Part II. The Examinations Subcommittee Part II is responsible for the practical organisation of the EDAIC Part II Oral Examination. The Examinations Subcommittee Part II Chairperson sits on and reports to the Examinations Committee and is the Director of the Part II Guided Question Bank.
The main duties of the Examinations Subcommittee Part II Chairperson will be the following:
- Create, review and organise examination questions covering basic sciences and clinical subjects annually.
- Select questions and attribute them to different examination centres on a yearly basis.
- Handle the transfer of examination questions to a software platform.
- Provide feedback to candidates appealing against their results.
- Write articles and reports pertaining to the EDAIC Part II examination.
- Depending on language skills, translate examination questions and possibly other EDAIC documents.
- Travel to attend or remotely attend examinations or meetings. One meeting of the Examinations Committee takes place face-to-face at the Euroanaesthesia Congress. Other Examinations Committee meetings will take place as video- or teleconferences, including one in October that can clash with the ASA annual congress.
- Support the development of the Part II examination and strive to maintain its high standard.
- Liaise with the Examinations Committee and Subcommittee Part II Members regarding strategic and more specific decisions.
- Be ultimately responsible for the selection of new examiners; and the training and auditing of new and established examiners.
- Provide guidance to Examinations Coordinators on important organisational/logistical matters related to the EDAIC Part II.
- Establish and maintain relationships with national societies of anaesthesiology, specialist societies, national authorities and other key contacts regarding the promotion/development/recognition of the Part II examination in specific countries or regions.
Undertake other tasks requested by the Examinations Committee on an ad-hoc basis.
The candidate must have the following profile:
- Must have been an Active ESAIC member for at least two years.
- Must be a consultant (i.e. not in training; retired anaesthetists cannot apply).
- Must be in clinical practice (i.e. not working for research only).
- Practising anaesthesia in a hospital with trainee anaesthetists.
- Experience in teaching and educational activities.
- Examination-related activity and specific involvement in EDAIC Part II examination centres.
- Previous administrative involvement in an examinations committee; experience in one of the ESAIC Examinations subcommittees is strongly preferred (1).
- Good command of English, knowledge of other languages is a strong asset.
- Strong diplomacy and leadership skills.
(1) Nobody can serve for more than 8 years as Member of the Examinations Committee, including the subcommittees, and for more than 12 years for a combination of Member and Chair (Chair + Chair-Elect + Past-Chair + Member) in the Examinations Committee, including in Part I, Part II or OLA Subcommittees.
Term of office
The new Chair of the Examinations Subcommittee Part II will be elected for a term of 3 years, renewable annually up to 8 years (1) and beginning on 1 January 2021. Members of the Examinations Committee, including the Subcommittee Part II Chair, must resign from the Committee 1 year after retiring from active work, and under very specific circumstances 2 years after retiring.
Travel, accommodation and other necessary expenses incurred to attend meetings or examinations are covered by the ESAIC as per the ESAIC Expense Reimbursement Policy.
How to Apply
(1) the completed application form
(2) a curriculum vitae (maximum 3 sides of A4 in the English language) and
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Examinations and Nominations Committees and the outcome will be communicated at the earliest. Please note that an interview, formal or by phone, of short-listed candidates could be organised. All subcommittee members/Chairs will need to declare their conflict of interest for the last 3 years. This declaration shall be renewed annually and published on the website.
Any questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org