The ESAIC is seeking to recruit a new Chairperson for the Examinations Subcommittee Part I. The Examinations Subcommittee Part I is responsible for the Part I Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) data bank, and the practical organisation of the EDAIC Part I and In-Training Assessment (ITA). The Examinations Subcommittee Part I Chairperson sits on and reports to the Examinations Committee and is the Director of the Part I MCQ data bank.
Deadline for applications is 31 December 2020 (23:59 CET)
The main duties of the Examinations Subcommittee Part I Chairperson will be the following:
- Compile MCQs covering basic sciences for Paper A on an annual basis.
- Oversee the selection and review of MCQs via a software platform.
- Suggest annual pass marks for both Part I examination papers following analysis of the results.
- Collaborate with suppliers during the production of the examination results and statistics.
- Provide feedback for candidates appealing against examination results.
- Write articles and reports pertaining to the Part I examination and ITA.
- Depending on language skills, help with the translation of examination questions and possibly other EDAIC documents.
- Travel to attend or remotely attend examinations or meetings. One meeting of the Examinations Committee takes place face-to-face at the Euroanaesthesia Congress. Other Examinations Committee meetings will take place as video- or teleconferences, including one in October that can clash with the ASA annual congress.
- Participate in the selection process of Part I Subcommittee Members.
- Support the development of the Part I examination and strive to maintain its high standard.
- Liaise with the Examinations Committee and Subcommittee Part I Members regarding strategic and/or specific decisions.
- Provide guidance to Examinations Coordinators on important organisational/logistical matters related to the EDAIC Part I and ITA.
- Establish and maintain relationships with national societies of anaesthesiology, specialist societies, national authorities and other key contacts regarding the promotion/development/recognition of the Part I examination in specific countries or regions.
- Undertake other tasks requested by the Examinations Committee on an ad-hoc basis.
The candidate must have the following profile:
- Must have been an ESAIC Active Member for at least two years (1) (i.e. as of January 2019).
- Must be consultant (i.e. not in training; retired anaesthetists cannot apply).
- Must be in clinical practice (i.e. not working for research only).
- Practising anaesthesia in a hospital with trainee anaesthetists.
- Experience with teaching and educational activities.
- Examination-related experience and familiarity with the European Diploma in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care or with the National Board Examination of their country.
- Experience in the ESAIC Examinations Committee or one of its subcommittees is an asset.
- Good command of English, knowledge of other languages is a strong asset.
- Very comfortable with numbers and possessing some statistical background.
- Strong diplomacy and leadership skills.
(1) A physician who has completed an accredited anaesthesia training programme, who is certified in anaesthesiology,
who is licensed to practice medicine, and who resides in a European country (as defined by the World Health Organisation).
Gender balance and representation from throughout Europe will be encouraged on all Committees. No more than two representatives working professionally in any one country (except for ex-officio or co-opted members with no voting rights), and no more than one representative from the same institution, can sit on any Committee/Subcommittee. In special circumstances, the Board of Directors could grant an exception to this rule.
Term of office
The new Chair of the Examinations Subcommittee Part I will be elected for a term of 3 years, renewable annually up to 8 years and beginning on 1 January 2021. The maximum term of office for a combination of member, Chair-Elect, Chair and Past-Chair positions in the Examinations Committee or one of its Subcommittees is 12 years.
Nobody can serve for more than 8 years as Member of the Examinations Committee, including the subcommittees, and for more than 12 years for a combination of Member and Chair (Chair + Chair-Elect + Past-Chair + Member) in the Examinations Committee, including in Part I, Part II or OLA Subcommittees.
Travel, accommodation and other necessary expenses incurred to attend meetings or examinations are covered by the ESAIC as per the ESAIC Expense Reimbursement Policy.
How to Apply
(1) a Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages in the English language)
(2) Your filled in Application form to the following address: email@example.com on 31 December 2020 at latest (please do not send e-mails heavier than 5MB). Complete applications will be reviewed by the Examinations and Nominations Committees and the outcome will be communicated at the earliest. Please note that an interview, formal or by phone, of short-listed candidates could be organised. All subcommittee members will need to declare their conflict of interest for the last 3 years. This declaration shall be renewed annually.
Any questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org