The ESAIC is seeking to recruit a new Chairperson for the OLA Examinations Subcommittee. The OLA Examinations Subcommittee is responsible for the OLA Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) data bank, and the practical organisation of the On-Line Assessment (OLA). The OLA Examinations Subcommittee Chairperson sits on and reports to the Examinations Committee and is the Director of the OLA MCQ data bank.
The main duties of the OLA Examinations Subcommittee Chairperson will be the following:
- Identify areas of the basic science OLA question databank where new questions must be written and coordinate this task within the OLA Subcommittee.
- Compile the OLA Paper A (basic sciences) and oversee the review and final selection of that paper together with the Subcommittee on an annual basis.
- Collaborate with suppliers during the production of the examination results and statistics.
- Write articles and reports pertaining to the OLA.
- Depending on language skills, help with the translation of examination questions and possibly other EDAIC documents.
- Travel to attend or remotely attend examinations or meetings. One meeting of the Examinations Committee takes place face-to-face at the Euroanaesthesia Congress. Other Examinations Committee meetings will take place online, including one in October that can clash with the ASA annual congress.
- Participate in the selection process of OLA Subcommittee Members.
- Support the development of the OLA and strive to maintain its high standard.
- Liaise with the Examinations Committee and OLA Subcommittee Members regarding strategic and/or specific decisions.
- Provide guidance to Examinations Coordinators on important organisational/logistical matters related to the OLA.
- Establish and maintain relationships with national societies of anaesthesiology, specialist societies, national authorities and other key contacts regarding the promotion/development/recognition of the OLA in specific countries or regions.
- Undertake other tasks requested by the Examinations Committee on an ad-hoc basis.
The candidate must have the following profile:
- Must have been an ESAIC Active Member for at least two years (i.e. as of January 2020).
- Must be a consultant (i.e. not in training; retired anaesthetists cannot apply).
- Must be in clinical practice (i.e. not working for research only).
- Practising anaesthesia in a hospital with trainee anaesthetists.
- Experience with teaching and educational activities.
- Examination-related experience and familiarity with the European Diploma in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care or with the National Board Examination of their country.
- Administrative involvement in an examinations committee; experience in one of the ESAIC Examinations Subcommittees is an asset.
- Good command of English, knowledge of other languages is a strong asset.
- Very comfortable with numbers and possessing some statistical background.
- Strong diplomacy and leadership skills.
Gender balance and representation from throughout Europe will be encouraged on all Committees. No more than two representatives working professionally in any one country (except for ex-officio or co-opted members with no voting rights), and no more than one representative from the same institution, can sit on any Committee/Subcommittee. In special circumstances, the Board of Directors could grant an exception to this rule.
Term of office
The new Chair of the OLA Examinations Subcommittee will be elected for a term of 3 years, renewable annually up to 8 years (2) and beginning on 1 January 2022. The maximum term of office for a combination of member, Chair-Elect, Chair and Past-Chair positions in the Examinations Committee or one of its Subcommittees is 12 years.
Travel, accommodation and other necessary expenses incurred to attend meetings or examinations are covered by the ESAIC as per the ESAIC Expense Reimbursement Policy.
How to Apply
(1) a Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages in the English language)
Complete applications will be reviewed by the Examinations and Nominations Committees and the outcome will be communicated at the earliest. Please note that an interview, formal or by phone, of short-listed candidates could be organised. All subcommittee members will need to declare their conflict of interest for the last 3 years. This declaration shall be renewed annually.
Any questions? Please contact email@example.com
2) Nobody can serve for more than 8 years as a Member of the Examinations Committee, including the subcommittees, and for more than 12 years for a combination of Member and Chair (Chair + Chair-Elect + Past-Chair + Member) in the Examinations Committee, including in Part I, Part II or OLA Subcommittees.